top of page


Zion was organized on March 10, 1901, as a worshiping community in Huron. The congregation initially rented space and later purchased their first building from the German Reformed Church. Rev. Theodore Stellhorn from Zion, Sandusky served as the congregation’s first pastor. Sunday school classes and confirmation instruction were offered, and a Ladies Aid Society was formed to witness and serve within the congregation and beyond. In 1908, Zion linked with St. John, Union Corners, to become a two-point parish. Together, Zion and St. John called their first full-time pastor. Over the course of their partnership, the two congregations would call a total of six pastors.

As the congregation continued to grow, a new church building was constructed in 1911 and later remodeled in the mid-1930s. Luther League, Junior Mission Band, the men’s Brotherhood group, and Ladies were active organizations in the life of the congregation. The growth of both the congregation and the Huron community in the post-World War II years led to the dissolution of the partnership between Zion and St. John in 1957. Since that time, Zion has called eight pastors and one associate pastor. By the 1960s, the congregation was also in the early stages of preparing to relocate to its present site on South Main Street. The highway expansion through the city of Huron precipitated the move. The new church building was dedicated on July 8, 1962. The organ and carillon were installed in 1962 and 1963 respectively, with a new carillon tower dedicated in 1970 and a new organ in 1980. In 1993, the congregation completed renovation of the sanctuary and added a new entrance and narthex space.

In 1971, Zion moved forward with the construction of the Christian Youth Center as a meeting place for youth in Huron. The facility was used to nurture ecumenical partnerships among the Huron churches and to strengthen ties with the community. In the mid-1970s, the Christian Youth Center program was administered through the Huron recreation board, and the building was later used for the North Coast Outreach children’s program. In the mid-1990s, the facility was renamed the Christian Center to reflect its new focus as a center for both youth and adults. At that time, the building housed an adult daycare center, as well as the Meals-on-Wheels home delivery of meals to seniors. The Meals-on-Wheels program continues to operate out of the Christian Center, which also serves as a meeting place for a local Girl Scout troop, Prayer Groups, the "Knitting for Him" organization, Painting Class, LifeTree Cafe, our Women's Bible Study, and various community events.

The churches in Huron have a long history of strong ecumenical partnerships. In 1972, the first community Good Friday worship service was hosted at Zion. This ecumenical worship service continues to the present day. Each year the service rotates between one of the seven Huron churches with clergy and laypersons from each congregation participating in the worship service. Together, the seven churches also support the Huron Food Pantry at Lighthouse Church and the Christ Community Meal at First Presbyterian Church. In addition, the Huron Prayer Paths and Labyrinth is an ecumenical endeavor located on Zion’s property. Maintenance of the Path and event planning is carried out by the Prayer Path Board, which meets at the Christian Center.

While much has changed over the course of Zion’s history, there are several constants running through its past, present, and future. The congregation is committed to serving within the Huron community and beyond to share the good news of God in Jesus Christ in both word and action. Zion has been blessed with strong, dedicated lay leadership that continues to lead the congregation into the future God has prepared for it. The congregation values the participation of children and youth in its shared life as a community of faith and looks for ways to nurture every person’s growth in faith. Ultimately, God’s grace sustains Zion as a community of worship, growth, service, and connection.


Zion’s Pastors

  • Rev. Theodore J.C. Stellhorn (1901-08)
  • Rev. Carl Frederick Mittler (1908-10)
  • Rev. J.C. Fenker (1910-12)
  • Rev. W.E. Kaeding (1912-20)
  • Rev. F.H. Ihrig (1920-21)
  • Rev. H.J. Weiler (1921-24)
  • Rev. William R. Lucht (1924-57)
  • Rev. Robert G. Trygstad (1957-61)
  • Rev. William H. Mercer (1961-64)
  • Rev. James C. Kocher (1964-68)
  • Rev. Thomas V. Waber (1968-73)
  • Rev. Kenneth E. Nosworthy (1973-76)
  • Rev. Loren E. Hoch (1977-1993)
  • Rev. Jeffrey D. Bischoff (1989-1993)
  • Rev. Raymond H. Vance (1994-2011)
  • Rev. Mandy Oleson (2012-2016)
  • Rev. Kristine (Kris) Schroeder (2017-2023)    


Formed for Ministry through Zion

  • Rev. William J. Zoltner
  • Rev. William Lucht, Jr.
  • Rev. G. Duane Baun
  • Rev. Robert H. Quaintance
bottom of page